- Clean and wash the crabs. Throw the shell and insides.
- Crack the claws and cut the body in half.
- Grind together the coconut, cumin, garlic, dried red chilies, turmeric and peppercorns with 50 ml of water to get a coarse paste.
- Place the mixture in a cloth and squeeze out the milk till it is dry and then set aside the milk and discard the paste.
- Heat the oil in a thick-bottomed pot and fry the onions till they are soft.
- Add the fresh chillies, ginger and garlic and continue to stir on medium heat till they start to change colour.
- Add the crab and stir them till they are pink. Add the coconut extract, vinegar, tamarind paste and salt and simmer for twenty minutes till the crabs are cooked through.
- Bring the sauce to a rapid boil for half a minute and taste and adjust the seasonings if required. Simmer till the gravy is thickened to your liking.
- Remove from the heat and serve.